2. What is your job title and role?
Managing Director, Colony Capital. European head of investors relations.
3. How many times per year do you travel and is it predominantly long or short haul?
I travel an extraordinary amount of times per year for both leisure and business. Probably 100 trips of various kinds, sometimes investment road trips take me away from home for 30 days on the trot.
4. What is your favourite business destination and why?
Paris – its easily accessible, the food is good and there are lots to do beyond work.
5. What are your favourite travel companions, gadgets and accessories?
My favorite travel companion is my son, who is always on the go and tons of fun. I love my Gate8: I never leave home without it. My most important accessories are my eye pad and Bose noise cancellation headphones, so that I can sleep peacefully pretty much anywhere.
6. What are your business travel ‘pet hates’?
I can not stand badly organised hotels, with over attentioned staff and slow service. A hot shower and a comfortable bed are the absolute minimum requirements.
7. What is your funniest business travel experience?
Monkeys entering my tent in the middle of the night, as I was travelling in India. You can only imagine the mayhem….these rascals were pretty funny!!
8. How do you stay sane, organised and relaxed when you are away from home?
Gate8 have enhanced the travel experience which I thought I had worked to a fine art. The garment bag saves me time as it hangs directly u closets, suits arrive in a wearable state and I can get in and out of airports fast, not to mention first in the taxi queue.
9. If you could change one thing about business travel, what would it be?
“Beam me up, Mr. Scott”! When is the StarTrek teleportation going to be commercialized?
10. Do you have any packing rules / tips?
Take 5 days supplies of clothes maximum to travel as light as possible and take with you only what can be easily replaced or washed.
11. What is your best piece of travel advice?
Stay in a good hotel when traveling for work.